Monday, November 24, 2014

A New Beginning

Michelle this past Sunday leading worship at our church. (Notice we aren't standing? This is a normal thing among many Czech churches)

We have lived in the Czech Republic for over 6 years now and for all those years of ministry we have always been with our same little church in Líšen, Brno. As we've mentioned in other blog updates and in newsletters, our church had a bit of a "makeover" at the beginning of this school year. Though we are still in the same part of Brno, we moved buildings. We  have recruited new members of our church to help teach Sunday School!! But in addition, I, Michelle have started to participate in leading worship.

Yes I know, I've been leading worship for years; since I was in high school. But always in English and usually among Americans. This is the first time I've taken the responsibility of leading Czech believes in their own language with their own songs. There are many aspects that are really hard about leading. For one, I'm sometimes singing and using words I'm not fully confident of their meaning. The biggest problem though is that they tend to put emphasis on words while speaking and singing that is not natural for us native English speakers. So I end up singing the songs a bit different then they are used to. I'm learning:-)! In addition, their chords are not always what we use. A small "a" is an A minor. A small "e" is an E minor. Ok so that's not so hard. But I'm still trying to figure out what in the world an "h" is. As a result I'm not able to play all of their songs just yet. Which is too bad because they have some absolutely beautiful worship songs in Czech.

One of the things I love most about worship here is that it's without all the show. No band, no rehearsal, no fancy slides. Just pure worship. Usually what happens is if the other worship leader or another member of our church brings their guitars, they will just come up and start playing with me. So it's very much on the fly, but I like it. No one cares about if we sound good or if we mess up, because worship is stripped down to it's purest element. So in the short amount of time that I've been helping to lead, I've been encouraged leading Czech believers to the foot of the cross. I'm teaching them some new English worship songs that have been translated into Czech. These are obviously my favorite to sing!

So if you think of it, you can pray for God to use me in worship to serve and encourage His church and His people.

~Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment